Torta paradiso, or paradise cake, is a light and fluffy classic Italian sponge that can be served just with a dusting of icing sugar or with various fillings. It's not difficult to make as long as butter and eggs have been kept at room temperature for a few hours. Our Paradise cake deliciously light with a heavenly filling is perfect for a special celebration. If there are any leftover cake kept it in the fridge wrapped in foil.
- PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas 4
- Grease a 20cm cake tin with a little butter. Line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Put the very soft butter, and 190g caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until creamy. This step is very important and cannot be rushed. Beat the sugar and butter together for a good 5 minutes, until the mixture has turned a very pale colour.
- Break the eggs into a separate bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat lightly with a fork.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar a little at the time and at a slow speed, mixing throughly after each addition.
- Sift together the flours and baking powder. Add to the mixture a third at the time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden and coming away from the sides.
- Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the blueberries under running water and place in a pan with 1 tablespoon of sugar and the juice of ½ lemon. Simmer for about 5-8 minutes until the berries start to burst. Stir in the mascarpone and set aside.
- Turn the cake out and leave to cool on a wire rack or plate. Then slice it in half horizontally, spread the filling over one cake layer and top with the other layer. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Leave A Comment