Ginger is a fantastically healthy food to add to dishes and drinks – and you don’t need much of it to reap the health benefits of ginger. This versatile root and stem, called a rhizome, can be used fresh, dried, powdered, preserved or pickled. It can be frozen grated or whole and is also available ready-prepared in jars or tubes, making it simple to keep some form of ginger in the store cupboard.
MAKE THE MOST OF GINGER HEALTH BENEFITS
- Make tea: steep a 1cm piece of fresh ginger in boiling water & add lemon or a little honey if needed. It is great to relieve nausea or when you feel a cold coming.
- Make a smoothie: add ½ to 1 cm of freshly grated root to your daily smoothie.
WHY EAT GINGER?
- An overwhelming body of research, plus a long historical medicinal use of ginger, indicate that ginger can exert powerful health benefits.
- For more than 5,000 years ginger has been used for stomach complaints, sickness and diarrhoea.
- Current research focus on pain and the reduction of inflammation(particularly in joints and muscles).
- It appears that many health benefits of ginger can be realistically achieved by consuming just a small amount on a regular basis.